As you may or may not know, bacteria mould and fungi love dark, damp and poorly ventilated areas. When damp is present in your walls, whether it is from a leaky tap, different ground level, water penetration or rising damp it creates an environment for mould and fungi to grow and spread.
From an aesthetics point of view, it looks quite unsightly. Peeling and bubbling of paint and plaster, white powdery substance and black spots of mould start coming through. But from a health point of view, it can be quite harmful.
A study published by the World Health Organisation (WHO) titled “Damp and Mould – WHO guidelines for indoor quality” they indicate that a high amount of humidity, mould and damp have been identified to increase the chances of getting asthma, upper respiratory tract related diseases, wheeze, altered lung function, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis etc.
So what is the next step to address the damp?
Leave it to the professionals. Scraping the loose paint away and using a plaster filler or sealer only covers the problem. From the cost point of view, doing it properly is cheaper than doing it over.
Visit www.dampcon.co.za/contact-us to get one of our professional surveyors to contact you